Friday, August 29, 2008
Much to my dismay, I had to stay home from work today. I went in yesterday just like the doctor said I could and I was actually okay-aside from all the walking I had to do. In the span of maybe 5 minutes I had to walk a particular path at least 3 times. I was fine when I got home though. And aside from needing to go from point A to point B, I pretty much spent most of my time sitting with my foot propped up on a pillow. My coworkers made sure of that. Flash forward to this morning when my alarm went off at about 6:20 this morning. I usually wait a good 10 minutes before I roll out of bed. I finally got up, grabbed my crutches and I couldn't even hobble to the bathroom. I was in that much pain. My hands hurt from gripping my crutches. My muscles hurt from having to carry my own weight. My freakin' ankle hurt. I hurt everywhere. I didn't make it to the bathroom. I laid back down and cried in my fiance's arms! Big baby. :( He had wanted me to take some of my meds last night but I didn't want to take any of them because I wanted to be fresh for work today. He had me take a vicodin and sealed my faith for the rest of the day-bound to my bed. I thought I was going to die. I felt nauseous. I was dizzy. I couldn't even walk to the kitchen!! I had cramps. I finally got some food in this weak body of mine and started to feel better. My ankle is doing better though it's looking rather gruesome. So if you want to skip the pictures, this post is now officially over. If you want to see the current state of my ankle, scroll on down!
Here's an aerial view of my foot in all her glory. :(Real nice, eh? The 'bruises' don't hurt though. (I'm serious!). Our Science teacher and our Dean of Students told me that it's scar tissue. And it's actually a good thing that it's purple. It means it's starting to heal. I'm supposed to massage the areas that are still numb to help get the blood flowing again. I did that yesterday and I bet that contributed to the sharp pain I felt this morning. That also is a good thing. When can I just walk on two feet already???
Thursday, August 28, 2008
- Do you knit or crochet? How long have you been at your craft? I am a knitter but can at least do a crochet cast-on or crochet edging when I need to! I have been knitting for five years now! Wow.
- Do you spin? What type of spinning do you do? Nope
- Are there any other crafts that you participate in? card making, stitchmarkers
- What are your favorite yarns/fibers? wool, wool blends, fingering or sportweight
- What are your LEAST favorite yarns/fibers? mohair, alpaca, acrylic
- Are there any types/brands of yarn that you are dying to work with but haven’t gotten a chance? wollmeise, vesper, sknitches, cherry tree hill
- What are your favorite types of projects to knit/crochet? quick projects..currently socks but I do love the occasional top/shawl. I like hats, fingerless mitts, and baby stuff too.
- What are you currently working on? Anything you plan to start this autumn? I am currently working on two different pairs of socks, a clap, and a green gable that is on a time out (along with a few other wips!). I currently don't have any plans to start anything this fall but who knows!
- What is your favorite FO? (Please, post a picture if you would like.) And this is also a favorite.
- What is your oldest UFO? Ugh..it is a sesame. I don't even have a pic of it up on my projects page. It's just waiting around for me. And also my greenery hat. She is on hold because I can't remember what row I left off on so I frogged back to the ribbing and will get back to work on her when I'm not so..distracted.
- Are their any knitting/crochet techniques that you would like to learn? I need to learn how to knit two socks on two circs or is it one circ?? I would also like to learn some other crochet techniques aside from the very basic one I know!
- Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I am a sock knitter. I wear a size 6.5-7 shoe. Circumference of my foot is about 8.5 inches. Length is 7 inches. (Hopefully those measurements are correct!!).
- Do you have a yarn winder and/or a swift? Yes, both
- Where/how to you keep you needles/hooks? My straights are in this caddy. My circs are in a hanging thing, and my dpns are in a dpn holder.
- Do you collect anything? Um..other than yarn, I do like pens, wrist watches, tape measures.
- What is your favorite type of music? Are you MP3 ready? Alternative, independent, classic rock and soul. Yes, mp3 ready.
- Do you like sweets? What are your favorites? definitely! dark chocolate particularly with nuts sour patch watermelon candy, reese's peanut butter cups, and peanut m&ms.
- What is your living situation like? Any pets? Children? I live with my fiance.
- Are you allergic to anything? dust, pollen, pet dander (only if it's a TON of dander), heavy perfumes/lotions.
- Do you have an online wish list (Amazon, Etsy, Loopy Ewe, etc.)? Please include links for your swap pal. here's my amazon and my loopy. I have some favorites on etsy. You can find them here.
- Are you having a birthday during this swap? no, spring baby here.
- What is your Ravelry ID? Ggirl
- What is your favorite color? My favorite colors are earth tones (greens/browns/blues) but I also like gray, reds, oranges. I like knitting with greens, browns, reds, oranges, pinks, and I'm starting to want more grays, yellows, and lavender/purple.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
1. Why did you join PRGE? I joined PRGE because I finally didn't miss the sign-up date! :) I've been wanting to join ever since I saw the first one. 1.a. Have you done other swaps? Are you doing other swaps right now? Yes I have done other swaps before. I am currently nearing the end of sp 12 and aside from PRGE, I'm also in another fall swap. 2. What are your five favorite things? (these don't have to be knit related) dark chocolate. sleep. fun socks. watches. days off from school. 2.a. Do these things allow any hints into your personality for your punk pal? I think so. 3. What are your three favorite things that you have made with knitting/crochet? mad color weave socks. fake isle hat. wicked. 3.a. What do you tend to make with knit/crochet? I tend to lean more towards the quicker projects like socks/hats/baby items but I've been branching out a bit to tops and shawls a bit. 3.b. What do you hope to make (or complete that you have started) someday? my clapotis and my green gable. 4. What five things would you love to see in a swap box someday? Why? hmmm..definitely candy (extreme dark chocolate with nuts), anything handmade/handknit by my partner, a little something for my fiance (who never gets any mail other than bills!!), a really good recipe (or two!), and something that shows who my partner is--something they like maybe! 4.a. What do you hope to never see in a swap box again (or ever)? anything vanilla/lavendar scented. both are my nemesis. oh and candles! 5. What are your three favorite yarns? What are your three least favorite yarns? My three favorite yarns (that I have worked with) are artyarns supermerino, madeline tosh, and yarn pirate oh, and malabrigo! My least favorite yarns are noro, yarns with tencel, and yarns where the colors look splotchy. I don't like acrylic/novelty too much either. 5.a. Do you like solid, self-striping, or multi-colored yarns? I love all three but need more solid or semi-solid in my stash. Self-striping would be fun for socks though! 5.b. What are your favorite colors? What are your favorite colors to knit with? My favorite colors are greens/blues (so earth tones!) but I also like reds, oranges, etc. I tend to knit mostly green, brown, red, or pink stuff. 6. What are your five favorite delicacies? hmm...tiramisu. homemade canneloni. lasagna. enchiladas with tomatillo sauce. sushi! 6.a. What yarn do you hope to one day try and why? i'm curious about wollmeise. I want to experience for myself why most of the knitting world would give their left arm for some wollmeise. 7. What are your three favorite guilty pleasures? bad reality tv (i.e. solitary 2.0, rock of love, etc!). online celeb gossip blogs. general hospital (i guess!) 7.a. What are your favorite tv or movie characters? I typically like quirky. you know, napoleon dynamite/juno. 8. What are the five things you look forward to every week? the weekend. now that school is starting up again, i can look forward to kuyam. sleeping in. time to knit. free time (where i'm not thinking/doing anything related to work!) 8.a. What do you do during your week (ie - work, take care of three kids, race walk)? I work and take care of my fiance and I. 9. What do you collect? cookbooks--salt free/reduced salt ones. tape measures. wrist watches (fun ones!). pens. 9.a. What collects you? I don't know. 10. When is your birthday? May 5 10.a. What is your favorite holiday and why? Valentine's Day. It's one day dedicated to professing your love for someone. Yeah, anyone can do it everyday but this a day when everyone HAS to do it (at least they're expected to!). I just like all the candy, the red, and the hearts. 11. Do you have any wishlists? yes, amazon, loopy ewe. 11.a. Do you have a "favorites" collection anywhere that your pal should know about? etsy 12. Do you have any allergies or health related conditions that your pal should know about? pollen..pet dander--to a degree (mostly cat dander but it's gotta be loaded with the stuff for my allergies to flare), oh and really strong perfume/scents. 12.a. What drives you nuts? rude people. being woken up from sleep. traffic. 13. What do you do for work and what do you do for fun? teach for work. hang out, sleep, etc. for fun. 13.a. What would you do if you knew you could not fail? I'd be an artist or maybe a fashion designer! 14. What would you like your pal to know that is not covered here? I am a lefty! :) 14.a. Are you excited for the contests or will you just pretend that they do not exist? Love contests! Bring 'em on! ;)
I've been MIA for the last few days. I had a bit of an accident at work on Monday morning (within the first 20 min of being at school!!!). Here's the wrap made for me by our science teacher. We didn't even have ANY ice in the freezers. We had to go through first aid kits to find ice packs for me! Our PE coach went down to the cafe across the street for some ice too. What a way to begin our very first day with all the staff on site! :( These are pictures of what my ankle was starting to look like while we waited to see a doctor. The swelling was starting to get bigger (not sure if you can really tell in the pictures) We ended up having to go to the emergency room. Kaiser is lame. When they finally saw me, they provided me with an air cast and some crutches. Btw, this is my first time to ever go into the emergency room and the first time I've ever hurt myself this badly! Oh, and lots of pain meds. I spent most of yesterday laid up in bed (with my foot elevated) falling in and out of consciousness (thanks to some vicodin). The area is numb. I can't really put any weight on it yet. The crutches are killing me. Today, I am sore everywhere and I don't know if it's from the fall I took or if it's from the damn crutches!! :( I am due back at work tomorrow though (according to my doctor's note) but we'll see how that goes. There are a lot of stairs there and I'm not that great on the crutches! I can wiggle my toes and bend my foot up and down (very carefully) so hopefully soon I'll be walking normal again. Fingers crossed that I lose the crutches by the first day of school.
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Question of the Week #11 "What's the best thing you've ever received in the mail?" Hmm...aside from yarn...it's a toss up between these and this (scroll down for the ise 6 part!). I can't choose...and if I really thought about it, there'd be links to nearly every package I've ever received from an sp. :)
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Monday, August 18, 2008
I'm nearing the end of my 'summer' faster than I thought I'd be. :P But today, was an excellent day! I finally saw 'Dark Knight' and while I didn't love it, I did think it was pretty good. Also on tap for today was that I saw Jeremy Piven at a local market and I think he knew I saw him. My eyes bugged out and I said to my fiance, "omg, it's Ari!" (but not in a loud voice!). And he turned toward the atm machine! I think I also saw Emmanuelle Chriqui in the same market a lil while before Ari was in there. To top off our afternoon, we saw a building with the decal 'peach pit' on it!!! I did some googling and learned that this particular restaurant is being used as the 'peach pit' for the new 90210! They're filming there tomorrow. No celeb sightings there..though it would've been cool to see Jennie Garth! lol. Okay now for some knitting..since I last posted, I have only completed one project...and I started two more! Here's how my clap is coming along..I have started the increases. It's slow going. I had intended to have this done in time for the fall. I know, it isn't even fall yet but by the looks of things, it may not be done before winter gets here! Here's what my express lane socks look like so far. So this yarn wasn't destined to be part of a chevron after all. C'est la vie. Here's a side view. And here's a view of the main pattern. I haven't decided on how long to make it yet. And lastly, here's my celtic cable heel sock which is now complete and I've since casted on for the second sock and have completed the toe. I'm working on the stockinette part now.Now for some yarn, some club kits, and my package from my sp12 pal. :) Here's some new yarn! Some yp merino sock in pretty pirate. And she is so, so pretty! I picked her from BritSpins on Ravelry! Some Lisa Souza Sock! in Agua Fresca which I got in a trade with bartons15 on ravelry. This is Alpaca with a Twist Fino in Coral Gables, from the same trade with bartons15. :) This is Mariner's Revenge from No Two Snowflakes. Now for some clubs!! I believe this is the July Robyn's Nest Sock Kit. There was so much stuff. And I get to try out dyeing my own yarn! Love the keychain sock blocker keychain and the fact that I even have sample yarn. I also got some new dpns, more of my new favorite stitchmarkers, and of couse some soak. :) Thanks for the great kit! :) This came the same day. :) My second package from my sp12! Look at all the yarn!!! There's a mix of kp cotton yarn, some amazingly soft happy feet sock yarn, and a pattern below (which I accidentally left out of the first picture!). Thanks, sp! :) Now for the woolgirl sock club kit! Here's the bag...And a close-up of the emblem on the bag (so freakin' cool!!!). And here's what came in the bag! A mini beach ball, two sock patterns, some flip flop erasers, lip balm, a stitchmarker, a new tape measure, a water bottle and some yummy madelinetosh yarn. I present to you, beach towel. If you made it this far, congratulations and thank you. :) We are officially back home and have been home for a few days now and it's like we never left here. Our plants are still vacationing though but we'll be picking them up soon! I have to make an appearance or two at school on Wednesday (since my contract says so! and probably for the rest of the week!) but in my book, I'm not officially due back at school until next Monday. :) Where in the world did summer go?? Note to self: Do not tutor next summer. It will go by more slowly. :)
Monday, August 11, 2008
Blogger is being weird. It wouldn't let me upload anymore pictures to the previous post and rather than wait, I just started a new post.
sock homesick. lol. Must've been a slip of the fingers!
We're here!! This baby is mine! Move it buddy! Look at me, I'm so adorable! Okay, get me outta here! Take me!! Hand please..or maybe I'll take that camera instead.. Yeah. I don't think this is funny...who put all these stickers on me?? Good-bye and Good night to Disneyland! Now for something knitting related..This is a pic of my second package for the first month of sp 12. My sp was genius enough to send me two separate packages that equaled one big one. :) So this is part 2 of my July package. She sent me a kp pattern for some lacy mitts, some kp gloss (to make the mitts!), some paton's wool, and some paper for card-making! Thanks a bunch! I've already received my package for this month but won't be able to blog about its lovely contents just yet.While we've been house sitting, I've managed to finish my fire socks (haven't blocked them yet and I haven't even taken a pic of them yet..waiting to go home to do it!!, work a bit on my clapotis, start another pair of socks (the pattern name escapes me right now), received my July kit from Robyn's Nest, and have received some lovely yarn from some equally lovely ladies on ravelry! Will blog about all of that by the end of this week. We will be home sweet home as of Thursday. Thank goodness. I was starting to get a little home
I've been wanting to tear my hair out because of one of my tutees and I haven't had a free moment to blog because I don't like blogging without having pictures to show off! I finally remembered to blog the Disney pictures and realized that not only does my fiance have Disney pics but he also has pics of my 2nd package from my sp on his camera!! She must think I suck. When honestly, it's the fact that my camera doesn't work via plug and play! :( As promised, here are some long-awaited pictures!That's me. I actually think I look decent in this picture (and I don't think that of most of the pictures that are taken of me!!) I'm probably wondering, "Are we freakin' leaving yet??"
Are we there yet??Hmmm...what am I going to eat when we get there?? " You be quiet!!" Are we there yet??
A bit behind... Question of the Week #8 What is your favorite supper for a hot summer evening? I don't have a favorite supper for a hot summer evening. I've noticed that when it's hot, my appetite tends to decrease. Ice cream would be enough for me! ;) Question of the Week #9 Have you ever entered your knitting (or anything else) in the fair? Would you ever consider it? I haven't ever entered my knitting in the fair. I don't think anything I've knitted would be good enough to enter into the fair!