Monday, February 27, 2012

Stitches West 2012

I took this past Friday off so that I could attend Stitches West with the hubs. :) I had every intention of us arriving in Santa Clara by the times the doors opened. HA. We got there about an hour or so after the doors had opened. We just got off to a late start.  We traveled lightly (meaning no camera amongst a few other things).  I had my list of things I needed, my map, and the hubs was in charge of all the snacks (the real reason we were behind schedule getting out the door!). It worked out fine though. We ended up spending the entire afternoon there. We left at about 5:30 or so to go have dinner. I hadn't intended on being there past 3:30. Boy was I wrong.  In comparison to our first Stitches, I think there was a better turn out of shops the first time we went.  The only 'big' shops that were there this year were Webs, Yarn Barn (of Kansas), and Village Yarn and Spinning.
Oh, I failed to mention that on this particular day, it was going to be in the 70s. There was no way I was going to throw on a shawl or knitted socks for that matter on a hot day even though I was going to be around thousands upon thousands of other knitters. I did bring the little thing my boss gave me a few weeks back though.  As I mentioned before, we traveled lightly this year (that included not bringing too bulky of a sweater/jacket that I would have to either tie around my waist or stash in a bag. I even brought a smaller bag than normal!
I only really wanted to hit the major shops listed above and my other go to shops were The Mannings, Foxyknits-All Things Koigu, and Alpenglow Yarn. Yes, that's it.  We hit The Mannings and I actually didn't find anything I wanted. Then we trekked to Alpenglow Yarn and finally I feasted my eyes on some pretty things. Here's what I picked up from her sales bin.
There was only one skein of the red. I really really liked it.  The unique thing about Alpenglow Yarn is she uses natural dyes. The yellow is made from something called weld and the red yarn is actually made from bugs that are found on cacti! The hubs thought that was awesome.
After that purchase, we got wind that Ysolda was there so we went to her booth. I don't know why I didn't realize she was going to be at Stitches! Her booth was very cute. We got to see Whimsical Little Knits volune 1-3, Saturday Treat in their adorable booklet formats! While we were at her booth, I noticed that she had rav buttons! I asked if I could have one and she said sure. I also dropped my map while I was getting a button. So here it is (on that thing my boss gave me):
The hubs got one too and the dork wrote his real name on it. lol. After that, we just went up and down each and every aisle. After the first round (and having found nothing that I really wanted), the hubs sat down and I went down the 800 aisle. I picked up some blue sock yarn from Western Sky Knits.
We took a lengthy break, sat down, snacked majorly by the Webs location, and people watched. Then finally I made my last two purchases of the day. I picked up some MadelineTosh Merino Light for an upcoming shawl that I'm itching to cast on for.
I don't know if either shot does the colorway justice. It is called ink. And lastly, I made a Zen Yarn Garden purchase from Fickleknitter. I had seen the colorway at the Zen Yarn Garden booth too but I ended up getting it from Fickleknitter instead.
This picture totally doesn't do the outrageous color justice. It's a dark pink mixed with reds or black. It's awesome and it is called Pop Rock.
Here's a family portrait:
Believe it or not, I stayed within my meager budget of about $100. That was all I had extra this month in my checking account. I don't often have anything leftover so I felt I deserved a little treat (why not?). Aside from the lovely purchase of yarn, I saw a few patterns that I did not yet have in my queue or my wishlist.  A few from Kira K Designs and there is a booklet coming out called California Revival Knits. It is amazing!!!
Remember I said I traveled lightly? I didn't even take any knitting with me! No, instead, I did lots of yarn and needle tasting whenever we were at a booth that had them at their disposal. I tried some hexagonal needles from Indian Lake Artisans.  I tried out the square needles (can't remember where). I tried out the signature needles that people were raving about a while back and I tried some yummy yarn.
There was one thing I didn't get. I had wanted to get some tweed yarn for a guernsey wrap and nothing called out to me. :( Oh well. Overall though, we had fun and I can't wait until next year! :)
Next time I ought to have finished photos of my socks that are currently blocking as well as my henslowe (also blocking) and maybe my cowl that I cast on for and finished in the same day!!

9 comments:

  1. Wow, very nice choices. You did great. I am amazed you were able to keep to budget!

    I went to stitches for about 2 years when they were in Baltimore, and then they moved it more south - too far for me to travel by car. So now the only big fair I go to is Maryland Sheep and Wool - which is only about 30 minutes away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stash enhancement! Lucky you being able to go to Stitches! I am hoping to actually make it to Rhinebeck. That will be my fiber festival this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stash enhancement! Lovely colors!!
    I really need to go to Stitches sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you are well stock of new yarns :) That should keep you busy for a while!

    You mentioned Webs. Webs - from Massachusetts? They go all the way to California...must be worth their while. I've never been, but need to go sometime....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great time. Maybe I'll get to Stitches Midwest someay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Ink is gorgeous! glad you had a fun time & kept w/in budget -- usually easier said than done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really wanted to go to this, but I just didn't have the money.

    I'm hoping next year I can.

    Looks like you made out with a bunch of nice things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like such a lovely day :) I love the red colour, so cool that it comes from cactus bugs! :)

    Nikki – inspire nordic

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!