Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Tiger Mother

I picked up Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother at the library earlier this week.  I missed all the controversy over it.  In fact, my sister made a comment to me about tiger mothers not too long ago and I had to ask what in the world that meant! Recently in Newsweek, they did an issue on Tiger Mothers so that is when I became more familiar with the issue.  I only picked it up because being Asian, I am most able to either agree or disagree with the author because my experience growing up was similar in many ways.  I also thought it would be a fun read for me.  I've only read 50 pages and I have to say that if I had more time in the day (or if I could miss a day of school), I would already be finished with it. It is easy and light. Some parts are actually funny. I have not quite arrived at the part where the controversy stems from.
On the back cover, the author provides a list of things that her daughters were never allowed to do. Out of the list of ten items, there were maybe 4 things that I was not allowed to do growing up. Some of the things were not applicable to me because I didn't ever want to be in a school play nor would I have complained about it but there were things that I wanted to be in i.e. a dance performance that I ultimately was not allowed to do (even though I had already signed up to do it). I also wasn't allowed to stay after school not to mention attend Science Camp but I digress.
I am off to get some work done. I have had meetings for the past three days at school (with two back to back on Monday even!) and I still have to type up my weekly letter to my families.

4 comments:

  1. I saw something about that on the tv, but didn't pay attention to what all the hub-bub was about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book sounds interesting. I have never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read it over Spring Break (missed all the controversy too!) It was a very interesting read. Have you finished it yet - don't want to give anything away!

    sandi
    rubber boots and elf shoes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am planning to go to the Reggio exhibit this summer.
    My email is rubberbootsandelfshoes@shaw.ca

    sandi
    rubber boots and elf shoes

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!