Tuesday, July 9, 2013

first post of 2013

Is it really possible that we are now in the seventh month of 2013 and you haven't heard a peep out of me? I know. It really IS possible since I've gone and done just that.  I have been off for most of this past school year.  I had more say over what my students were going to be learning (not to mention the class next door to us) and I had such lofty goals for my kids this year. We ended with about half of my students reading and writing at or above grade level. As for the other half, about 8 of that half was SO close to being on grade level! I hope all my students continue to be successful in the coming year. I am going to miss them. They were the best group of kids I've had in a long time.
The upcoming school year will bring with it many changes (and I'm not just talking students). We will be adding specialties (spanish, art, pe with a REAL pe teacher!! etc). We have extended our school day. There will now be a 'wall' of some sorts separating my class from my neighbor (which is actually a good thing). Had I known it was going to look so nice, I would've opted for a wall last year! Oh we will be going with a school-wide theme this year as opposed to my room being the Kindergarten room, it will be called something else.  I will have another new partner. In fact, we will be having a whole bunch of new teachers this year due to all the specialties and the staff changes that occurred this past school year.
There has been knitting..
 commando for the hubs
 eiffel cowl for me
 parseltongue hat for me aka sss
 pretty lil thing for myself
 flames (she has yet to find a good home)
 trouble, a cowl for my sister,
 sunshine, a cowl for a good friend,
and infinity & beyond, for the aforementioned good friend.
I also finally finished my goldie scarf. I got to the point where I didn't have anything else to work on so I picked it back up again. It's already finished. I just haven't taken a photo of it yet. Currently I am working on a shawl for my teacher assistant. Here it is so far:
I will most likely run out of yarn but it's okay. I have a plan.
There has been some reading. I've actually ready 10 books this year so far but according to Goodreads, I am one book behind. Sigh..
 And now here are some shots of things during the 2012-2013 school year since I spent a greater part of my time at school!
 star lantern (This was the prototype for a project the hubs, my student teacher, teacher asst, and I worked on with a group of K-3rd grade students.
One of the points on the star lantern led to the making of this steel candle flame.  There's another one that sits atop a huge candle.
 The biggest banana slug I've ever seen...
 A gigantor mushroom
 An icy day in February..check out that swirl pattern!
 A Robot Family
A dragon
In the Spring, we partnered with our 2nd and 3rd grade buddies and did some up-cycle art with a ton of reyclables. 
It was a VERY busy year and I'm hoping that the upcoming year doesn't take over my life as much as this one did! And though I'm not as present as I once was in the blog world, I am constantly thinking up blog posts in my head!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're back! I've missed your posts and seeing your knitted things.

    I love all of the hats, especially the flame one.

    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does blog posts in my head! If I actually blogged all of those posts I'd probably be a daily blogger. I tell myself more of them will make onto the blog once we upgrade to laptops or tablets.

    Anyway, glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The school year tends to take priority over blogging, doesn't it? I bet you are looking forward to your school changes. We have PE, Art, Music, and Spanish for our specials. You'll love that bit of a break - a planning time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you've been busy! That swirl on your car looks so cool!

    Hope you are enjoying your summer.

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!