Saturday, August 25, 2012

Hit the ground runnin'


Well, I have just completed the first full week with my new students and so far so good. I have a smaller class than I've had in the last couple of years at my school (but I'm not complaining!). :)  I went back to work on the 6th and the hubs, my assistant, and I completely and totally changed the look of my room. I haven't taken any decent 'after' shots but I intend to do that soon.  It looks really good. In fact, one of my moms from last year commented on how much nicer the class looks this year. I guess it took me three years to finally feel like it was my own space. 

Both of the trainings I had to endure were awesome but it is a lot of 'newish' things to implement. The great thing about the reading training is everything was in line with what I wanted to do this year anyway! We have yet to fully implement the math piece since there aren't enough hours in a day to accomplish everything! This year we are more about laying the ground work for a strong sense of number.  If you're a teacher, you've been hearing the word subitize for a while now. I first heard it last fall.  If you're a parent, it's something you should know about too!

Home visits began this first full week of school and it has been crazy. I am going to request that rather than starting the first full week of school, maybe we can wait a month into school.  Administration wanted to try something different this year rather than have the teachers wait until October to do them. I am still on the fence about how I feel about doing them now but I can say that it has been tough. 

There has been no knitting and no reading for pleasure around these parts! My sister flew into town the day before school began so we've spent a bit of time together. She has mostly hung out with the hubs!  She left this afternoon to go back home.  I think the next time she'll be back in town is around Christmas.

Just thought I'd check in!


6 comments:

  1. You are right, there aren't enough hours in the school day to do everything! I would love an extra 30 minutes a day just to do math!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that you finally feel comfortable in your classroom. Glad to hear your first week went well.

    Hope you get math time at school and knitting and personal reading time at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beginning of the school year is always a crazy busy time. But I am glad this year has started off Ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! No knitting or personal reading time since school started for me either! Though I am bound and determined to pick up my knitting sometime today! (Haven't touched it in over a month!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is a really busy time of year for you. I hope you get to do some fun stuff when everything settles down. I mailed a letter to you today, BTW.

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!