Monday, February 7, 2011

100th Day of School

Today marked out 100th day of school. It was so crazy busy that I didn't even get a picture of any of our 100th day festivities. I can just tell you about it. We partied with our neighboring class and we invited the 1st and 2nd graders to celebrate with us. There were stations for making necklaces with cheerios and froot loops.  There was a station to make 100 glasses (these were classic!!!). A station for coloring crowns and a coloring page. There was also a station (the one I was in charge of) where the kids were presented with 10 different snack items (pretzels, peanuts, cheez its, raisins, marshmallows, fruit snacks, goldfish, m&m's, popcorn, and jelly beans) and had to count out 10 of each. I had wanted to do a measurement station with 100 paper clips but there wasn't any time. Fun was had by all. My room was an absolute and utter mess! I have enough cheerios to last me until the end of the year. I also have enough snack food to last till then too! There's another celebration on Friday in honor of Valentine's Day.
Now coming into my school, I was told that we don't really celebrate Christmas and we really don't celebrate Valentine's Day. Can I tell you I was super crushed? Both are my favorite holidays in terms of kid art. They are by far the best and to work at a school where you just don't do that stuff, it's been tough. There has since been further clarification though. Our founder just doesn't like how commercialized both holidays have become which is understandable. So next year, I am going full on Valentine's Day hearts everywhere!! This year, we're super behind. I have lots of making up time to do. I think we are going to start talking about friendship and what it means to be a good friend. Then we will go into Valentine's Day and how you make valentines for the people that are your friends. Christmas is still a bit iffy just because some don't celebrate but I think I was fortunate in that all my students celebrated Christmas. What I DO like to do is discus all the various festivals of light that occur at the same time but it is difficult to do when you don't have the support of the parents to do that. We'll see how next year goes.
As an aside, I saw this really cool thing that I had to share. If you try it out, please do let me know! I hope to try it out one day.

3 comments:

  1. I love those - something my husband would enjoy making! I wish I was small enough to celebrate 100th day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very sad about not being able to celebrate the holidays in school. I remember on Halloween they would always have a costume parade when my boys were younger and then they just stopped it entirely. All they did was let them wear orange and black. Very sad :( Good for you for trying to bring Valentine's Day back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wish I were small enough to celebrate your 100th day! That is neat that you guys even celebrate that. We never did in my school. How many days in a school year anyhow? Was it 189 or something? Or is that number too low?

    That sucks that in terms of art you couldn't do Xmas or V-day. Were you able to do Halloween and Thanksgiving at least? And what about Easter in the spring? St. Patty's day? What are you allowed to do?

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!