Sunday, May 22, 2011

here's what you missed

Birthday goodies from a very special friend.
  a cute reversible bag,
malabrigo yarn,
  a dolphin case,
 stitch holders and a case for needles (which always comes in handy),
these gorgeous earrings,
buttons!
 more yummy yarn, (this one aptly named after one of my favorite drinks, sangria!),
and these cool sunglass headbands (in various colors!)
Here I am trying on one pair of my new earrings. I wore them the day after I received the package and mostly everyone at school noticed them and liked them. :)
I have sort of been doing a 'test' with the earrings that I have been getting each year for my birthday and it seems as though they are the only ones safe for me to wear. :) So keep 'em coming, Robyn! ;)
Finished shawls have been photographed and or blocked. Here's Cherry Bomb, modeled by me. 
And here's my latest finish. Modeled shots forthcoming.
I just love the detail of the lace pattern in my latest shawl. I should also have better shots of snow soon too. I had to go back and tweak it a bit.
My school had its first annual carnival yesterday afternoon. It was a lot of fun. I can't post any pictures because they include kids from the school. There was a cupcake walk (which my sister participated in) and a few carnival games that each class was in charge of. There were deep fried twinkies (which were interesting), inexpensive tacos and burritos, kettle corn, a band, animals from a local pet store, and horses. Next year I hope that we have even more booths.
Last night the hubs and I went to the symphony for the first time. It was part of his Music Appreciation class. We went to the final concert of our local symphony. I was unfamiliar with the concert that was performed. I paid pretty good attention during the first two sections (I think?) and then I became distracted. I had to find things to focus on. I chose to focus on the guy who got to play the triangle. He also played the xylophone and get this, he played wood blocks! I noticed that most of the violinists that were sitting stage left had wedding rings on and most of the cellists and bassists that were seated stage right weren't. I learned that if you have a cough, you're supposed to bring unwrapped cough drops to the show and if you must cough, it's best if you go outside to do it!
Guess what! There are only 17 days of school left. I can't even believe it. We have this event called "Boxland" coming up the first full week of June, a possible field trip the second week of June, and not to mention progress reports. Oh yeah, and our school founder is retiring this year so there will be a retirement party in her honor. Just when I finally got used to the group of kids I was given for the year, I am going to have to get used to a new batch in a few months. For the upcoming school year, the teacher who I share a huge space with is also going to be doing Kindergarten so that will provide for more options of team teaching (we're hoping!).
My sister has been in town for about a week now. She is here to pick up her car to take back with her to Chicago but it turns out, no one can go with her. I was slated to go with her but then the possibility of something happening while we were on the road popped into my brain (and I decided that I sort of jinxed myself!) so I had to say no. I only have 2 days left that I can take off. Too bad she can't wait a couple more weeks. SO, she is going to be flying back Memorial Day weekend (so at least she's here a little bit longer!) and her car will get transported to her (somehow).
While my sister has been in town, she has been filling me in on what's going on with her parents and brother. It's an eerie (yet amazing) feeling when the premonitions you have had in the past, start turning into reality.
And there you have it.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, beautiful shawls. You do great work!

    Nice birthday presents as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, I missed your bithday? I am a shit friend, I am so sorry sweetie! happy belated birthday. I will make it up to you next year! I have to work on a system or something to remember everyone! ugh! Your friend sent you some adorable things and those earrings are precious. I LOVE the shawls, so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been busy! The shawls look great! Here's hoping for a swift/smooth end to your school year (mine ends on Friday @ 11:30).

    P.S. I haven't abandoned your letter. A reply is on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry I missed your birthday, I feel really bad about it :( Looks like you got some lovely gifts, and those shawls are beautiful! Happy Belated Birthday <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherry Bomb is gorgeous. You are a lace knitting shawl machine! And that is an awesome bunch of birthday gifties. Love the sangria yarn, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. omw, what a fun, amazing package!! I love gifts, so watching you "unwrap" it was so much fun! I love the dolphin case :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you liked all your gifts! Hope you had a fantastic birthday. Can't believe mine is next, and I'm turning dirty 30! Ugh!

    Gorgeous shawls! WOW! You're on a roll with the knitting!

    You must be so excited to almost be done school for the summer. What do you plan to do this summer? Anything on your list?

    That sucks that your sister can't drive her car back - it would suck to do it alone. What would happen on the road if you were to go with her? I don't understand your comment about that?

    The carnival sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...awesome gifts...you certainly made out like a bandit, didn't you ?

    Both of your shawls are stunning!
    A road trip with your sister...that sounds like it might be fun? Too bad she couldn't wait until school is over...I understand your trepidation about that ;)

    happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!