Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I made it through the first day!

Whew. What a day. It started off great-the kids were nice and quiet but by afternoon, they were a bit punchy! My expectations were a bit too high for this group collectively. A lot of them have never been in school before and I am teaching a transitional Kindergarten class. I was shocked that a majority of them couldn't write their names..even name recognition was difficult. So I've got my work cut out for me and I need to take it down a few notches. Oh, the highlight of the day? Someone set the fire alarm (and apparently it was someone in MY class!!) and we didn't even know where to go for the fire drill. We headed towards the play yard when everyone else was out by the parking lot. Sigh. Oh well. At the end of the day, I had pieces of fudge and now I am home "relaxing."  How I have missed knitting. Not sure when I'll be able to pick anything up for a while at least. I can barely squeeze a movie in anymore. I'll get a handle on things soon-at least that's the plan. So bear with me!!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day :) It can only get better from here, right??

    Hey by accident I happened upon this great blog http://halpey1.blogspot.com/ that you might want to read. It's a male kindergarten teacher.

    I've been in my classroom all week setting up, but had to take today off b/c Ryan was up all night with the stomach flu! :( My first offical day back has to be Friday. My students return on the 25th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making it through the first day. I'm sure you'll be back in the swing of things soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting through the first day....you'll find your groove soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your first Day! What a day at that too! I am sure you will have a great year! Can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made it through the first day! I've been thinking about you and wondering how things were going!

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!