Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Aftermath

My first Thanksgiving was wonderful! I used to claim to be someone who didn't partake in typical Thanksgiving fare but I actually went the whole nine yards..from turkey with gravy and mashed potatoes (I like them but won't eat them all the time),  all the way down to stuffing (and I really am not a fan of that stuff)! The company was great as well and we ended up staying really really late. We were supposed to meet up with my best friend and her family at some point but we totally lost track of time. My boss grew up in LA and the hubs having been born and raised there was sort of doing a stroll down memory lane with her. It didn't help that she had one of those huge coffee table books of Los Angeles. He had to look through the whole thing!
Everyone had great stories to share about their childhood, their parents, or even their grandparents except for me. Isn't that sad? I told the hubs (once we got home) that I don't have great stories to tell from when I was a kid. I didn't have cool adventures or get to spend much time with extended family so I was a little sad. My childhood felt very different compared to the stories I was hearing from my boss, her husband, and my husband and I couldn't relate.
Aside from that, I was just glad to be with people who enjoy Thanksgiving and even like having company over!
My sister had a great time in NY and also got to partake in a typical Thanksgiving. Maybe this is part of what was missing from our lives growing up? She also got to see the sights of the city. Though she didn't make it to the Thanksgiving Day Parade! Oh well. Maybe next year. 

4 comments:

  1. So glad that you're Thanksgiving was wonderful. :) New traditions start now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful that you had such a great holiday. My hubby also had a horrible childhood and doesn't have the fun memories that I have which makes me sad. His father was very abusive. I love seeing him with Clark because it is like he gets to relive his childhood through his son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good, I think, that you recognize what was missing so you won't leave that out of your Thanksgiving celebrations with your family.

    I would have LOVED to look through that Los Angeles book and share stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so glad you had a meaningful and fulfilling thanksgiving this year. now you can start new traditions and making new memories for the thanksgiving holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!