Thursday, November 25, 2010

My First Thanksgiving

Can you believe this will be my first 'real' Thanksgiving in my 35 years of life?
Growing up, we had food on Thanksgiving but it wasn't what I'd see on tv-big families getting together, having turkey, mashed potatoes, candied yams, really appreciating being with the people they were with and actually having a good time. Our Thanksgivings always fell short when it came down to the true meaning of the day-being grateful for all that one has. Maybe it was unspoken but it surely wasn't taught and it definitely wasn't ever expressed. Isn't that sad?
All my Thanksgivings up until now have been spent with the people that I lived with. As I grew older, it sort of became an obligation to have to spend Thanksgiving with them. Last year, I was actually happy to be spending Thanksgiving there because we were allowed a more active role in the meal preparation. Were they grateful for the new dishes we were trying to incorporate as future traditions? No. They didn't even try the new dishes. My sister, my husband, my SIL, my brother, and I all slaved on various dishes but were they appreciated by the elders of the house? No. In fact, we had to eat our own leftovers.  In fact, all we heard was complaining. Guess where that has left them? To spend the holiday alone this year. Instead of a full house, it will just be the three of them this year and probably from now on. Do I feel bad about that? Not in the least.
In fact, I'm quite excited to get to experience my first 'real' Thanksgiving. We will be spending it with people whose company we genuinely enjoy that inspire us on a daily basis. They have gone out of their way to welcome us into the school community as well as into their everyday lives. I am grateful for both of them on a daily basis. We might even get to see my best friend and her family for a bit as well if time permits.
I am happy to say that on this turkey day of 2010, I am chock full of happiness and gratitude.  We are in a good place (aside from all the outside forces) finally and life can only get better.
I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving (if you're in the States). I am grateful to have you all a part of my life.

5 comments:

  1. Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving Rhoda!

    ps- the white on grey background is really hard to read on your blog. I have to highlight everything to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to have a great thanksgiving, and I'm so happy you are doing something right for you. Hugs!

    Eileen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you had the best "first" Thanksgiving ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is sad, but I hope your first was wonderful! Your knitting looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!