Thursday, July 5, 2012

the digital age and dawson's creek

I have been watching reruns of Dawson's Creek, season 3 in the wee hours of the night. Season 3 is by far my favorite season and it is when I began to actually watch the show. I boycotted it for the first two seasons. Anyone that knows me knows that I tend to stray away from overly hyped things i.e. Harry Potter (in case you were wondering).  Anyway, it dawned on me that teenagers do not communicate with one another in the same manner that they are portrayed as doing on Dawson's Creek.  Can we get an eye roll here? There's too much subtext and I know it's hard being a teenager but do they really have all those thoughts swirling around in their brain? Here's another thought I had, teenagers now, don't even interact as much as they are seen doing on Dawson's Creek.  I noticed that people weren't glued to cell phones and texting hadn't even been invented yet (or had it?) I long for the days when people used to actually like talking to one another face to face (shudder to think!) or via phone instead of just texting.  Sure it's convenient but don't you think it's one of the reasons teenagers don't know how to speak to adults anymore? That along with facebook, angry birds, and every other game or form of social media has done more than enough to strip this generations ability to speak face to face to people. In fact, respect has been thrown out the window too.  When are people going to stop making it that much more convenient to access the internet? Soon we might be able to just insert a chip into our ears, and presto, a touchscreen will appear out of thin air.  What are we really gaining from being able to access the internet anywhere and everywhere? How about installing wifi in public bathrooms? I know, I'm getting over the top here but seriously? How far are things really going to go?
I leave you with a clip of the last episode that I've watched of Dawson's Creek. Things are just starting to get good!

5 comments:

  1. I've never watched Dawson's Creek, but it looks really good. I'm going to check and see if the library has it.

    Unfortunately, I don't think you're being over the top in wondering if WIFI will be installed in public bathrooms. Just think about the number of people who keep right on talking on their phones in the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said, season 3 is when things start to get good. :) Really? You don't think I'm being over the top??? Sigh..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg! I was OBSESSED with Dawson's Creek when I was in high school (the end of high school, beginning of college). I always wanted to talk like them, but you're right, no teenagers are capable of speaking like they did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to see the movie "Brave". When I got out, I went to the restroom. A lady walks in talking on her cell phone and sits right down to pee. Never hung up. Gross!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is gross when people talk on their phones while on the can. Even on their regular phones in their own home! Tell the person you are talking to that you will call them back!

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!