Saturday, January 7, 2012

I've cracked the code!

I have spent the last two days watching youtube videos of how to make a frickin' crochet ripple.  Today I watched:
and the next two videos that followed in this series. It didn't help.  First I sort of needed to get down the whole single crochet and double crochet idea. What is up with all the yarn overs? The weird part is another video, there was a YO before every chain and in the one I finally got she only did YO's after picking up the chain she was going to work.  
The video that  finally taught me how to do the crochet ripple is this one: 

Here's how my trial run went:

My hand hurts though and I only cast on 34 sts. Imagine when I make my actual blanket. Ay yi yi. I'm just relieved I finally figured it out. :) 

While I was uploading the pics of my baby ripple, I found some pics of the baklava bars and the peppermint bark my sis and I made sometime last week.


The phyllo dough crust was the best part of the baklava bars. I think next time, I might half the recipe. I couldn't even finish this batch! My sister ended up taking half of it with her to Chicago. The bark came out well too-aside from the cheap candy canes we had to use (which weren't very pepperminty). I can't remember which recipe we used. Link to come. 

5 comments:

  1. Great job with the crocheting. I just need to bite the bullet and learn already. I don't know why it intimidates me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on mastering the ripple :) My hand always hurts when I crochet, too. I really like knitting better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the crochet. That candy looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I have made a few ripple blankets before and my ripple doesnt as harsh an angle as yours does. Try checking out Lucy's tutorial: http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/neat-ripple-pattern.html
    This really helped me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yey on the crochet! Go you! Can't wait to see what else you whip up!

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!