Thursday, January 5, 2012

the UNTHINKABLE

happened earlier this morning.  Remember those narratives I have been complaining about and procrastinating about for the last month? Well, I was working on my third to the last one (25 pages worth of a Word document).  And guess what? I hit save, and all of a sudden, I had FIVE HUNDRED pages of gobbledygook. It kind looked like this:

Though my gobbledygook had bigger gaps in between and you could make out some sentences but only bits and pieces of them. Pretty  much all of it was gone.  The first thought that came to mind (obviously) was that I was screwed. These narratives are due next Wednesday. They are supposed to be printed and ready to go out in the mail on January 11th. No lies. Second thought was, "How in the hell am I going to type 23 narratives in 5 days?" Then I thought, "I'll just go to the Mac store and they'll fix it." Sigh.
 link
Then I thought I'd google to see if I could fix it on my own. As it was, I had been receiving errors from my Microsoft Word while working on these narratives. I kept getting this error about the AutoRecovery not being able to save to its normal destination. At some point, I changed the destination to my desktop. Guess what I was doing right before the 500 pages of gobbledygook appeared? Oh, deleting the autorecovery file and EMPTYING my trash!!!!!! So I tried to remember how I went in and changed all the requirements or whatever for Word. Couldn't find it. Then I typed in AutoRecovery. Long story short, I found my document!! Thank you Mac Forums. :) You saved my life. I have two more to write  and then I am home free. I am going to celebrate by trying to figure out how to double crochet so that I can learn how to make my own crochet ripple blanket. Oh and I just might get back to my knitting. 

6 comments:

  1. omg! I am glad you got it back I know how those damn narratives plague you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THat would have been awful if you couldn't recover your narratives! I'm glad you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrible scare! Glad it was recovered.

    I hate computers. I couldn't do without one, but I hate them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my ! That could have been disastrous. Glad you were able to recover those documents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness you recovered your files!! Very nerve wracking though. Hope the rest goes smoothly :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! What a hear attack! But that's awesome that you were able to figure out how to get your document back!!! I would have not thought to do that! Go you!

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!