Saturday, February 6, 2010

the big finish!

I finished up my blood, sweat, and tears shawl in the wee hours of the morning on Friday. It is stunning. I'm not a fan of garter stitch and I've done one too many projects as of late that heavily relied on garter stitch but this shawl is a thing of beauty.
And I have to say that it's the garter stitch that makes the design within the pattern stand out.
Earlier in the week I cast on for a scarf for my husband from this book.
He is the easiest person to knit for (other than myself!) because he loves and appreciates everything that I make for him. He's been in need of some new accessories since it's a tad colder around these parts than it was in LA!
We were going through my yarn bins yesterday afternoon to see if there was anything I could part with and we only turned up one skein so we're going to just keep it! lol. In the midst of our scavenging, I showed him my lone skein of chocolate cherries.
It has become earmarked for something for him. He wanted a new pair of mitts but I saw brennan and knew that it was meant for him. I've resisted the urge to cast on. But I so wanted to at least wind the yarn so it'd be ready!
I've been trying to finish the projects I've got going. Lately, I've been focusing on gust.
I'm definitely going to make it longer than the pattern calls for. I have found that the knitspot scarves are a bit too short for my liking. I don't want to make it super long (like I usually do with scarves!) so I'm hoping to make it in-between what the pattern calls for (24 repeats) and what might be considered too long. I think I'm at the halfway mark for a suitable length for myself. I'm at 20 repeats.
Once I'm finished with gust, I don't know what I'll want to work on next. There's still the hat to finish, my second crack sock, and my mom's shawl! Sheesh. I'm thinking I may have to pick up the hat again soon since my best friend will be coming into town in the next couple of weeks. I'd rather give it to him than have to mail it!
Aside from the knitting, there's been reading. I finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett which I absolutely loved! It was so good and possibly one of the best books I've read so far this year. I then moved on to read The Letters of Frida Kahlo: Cartas Apasionadas which was a pretty quick read. I was a bit disappointed with it though. I would've liked to have read some of the response letters written back to Frida's letters. So to me, the book was a bit one-sided. I gave up on the Malcolm Gladwell books. Today, I started Wisdom of the Last Farmer: Harvesting Legacies from the Land by David Mas Masumoto. I first heard about it in Reader's Digest! There was an excerpt in Reader's Digest over the summer and I really liked it. So far so good. Here I thought non-fic wasn't my thing but yet, I was able to read The Letters..without a problem and I'm now reading the Masumoto book without trouble. Maybe it's just Malcolm Gladwell. :o The Masumoto book, to me, is a son reflecting on his history and how it affects his present and his future. He's a very good writer. I might have to check out his previous books.
Life-wise, I finally did the taxes today. We are sort of adjusting to my brother living here. Though he's rarely ever actually home. He is definitely still a kid and might actually stay one for the time being. I didn't hear back from the woman I interviewed with on Monday for the preschool director position. Guess it wasn't meant to be after all. There was another trip to the ER but all is well. Just sort of a false alarm. It's been raining a bit and it's been cold! The monkey still has moments of normalcy (though they're not when she's around her dad). The folks have sort of settled down. Though there's still the business of figuring out where my brother is going to keep his crap and since he's rarely here, we have to deal with it all (but I just ignore it!!). My parents are incapable of ignoring the piles. **I'll have to remember this for when I have children and they possibly move back into my house. The hubby's finger is getting better and we're starting to settle in too.

7 comments:

  1. B-U-T- ful!


    One day I shall make a lace shawl....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shawl! We need to do our taxes- we have been lazy about it now that we do them ourselves instead of having them done for us. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Shawl!

    I love the colorway of Chocolate Cherries. I love the mix of the colors together.

    Glad to hear the trip to the ER was just a false alarm. I am praying for things to get back to normal for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shawl is beautiful!! Good luck with the family drama I know it is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, fabulous! How do you get your scarves to lie flat? I'm doing my first one (basically knit a row, purl a row) and the edges are all curled up like a tube sock. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the flat edge advice - I'm going to try it tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!