Wednesday, February 10, 2010

brennan & books

I finally got around to getting a decent shot of my brennan cowl.
It's slow goings.I've been devoting my time to reading or catching up on my internet life. It'll be a miracle if it's finished and blocked by Sunday! I finished Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers yesterday and started Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. A pen pal had recommended Mary Poppins so I thought why not. It was really good. It made me want to watch the movie again as it's been ages since I've seen it. My only regret is the library doesn't have the next book in the series!
As for Love, Stargirl, I read Stargirl when I was student teaching. The only thing that would ever bring me to teach older kids would be the great literature out there for them. I knew that a second book had been released but didn't have the time to read it. I stumbled upon it while at the library this past weekend. It's basically a long letter. I happen to be a fan of books that are written in letter/email format. I'm about 75 pages from completion! I still have that Farmer book waiting for me. But I also checked out a bunch of other faster reads that I might skip to. Oh, and I checked out Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy! I also wanted to finally read Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides but with Anna Karenina on my plate, it's completely full for now. We'll see how I do with it. It may be the longest book I have attempted to read. The longest book I've read that I can think of was East of Eden by John Steinbeck.
When I was in high school and into my first two years of college, I always tried to spend my summers reading classic novels. One summer I did all Shakespeare plays. I want to go back to trying to read all of the appealing classic novels. Do you reread books? I don't. Though there are some books that I would reread but there are so many other books out there yet to be discovered!

6 comments:

  1. I always say that I'm going to read the classics but I never do. I have finally realized that with all the stresses in my life it is totally ok to read brain candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont re read books. TOo many more books out there I want to read.

    Wow, you have a penpal?? Cool! Where does she live? Does she read your blog?

    Love Brennan! Love the way the chocolate cherries is knitting up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! How are you doing?? You have some hefty reading on your plate, but I always think a good book is a great way to escape.

    Thinking of you...
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty cowl - I love the colors!

    Sounds like you have some good reading ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cowl is very pretty...is that knit from the choc cherry yarn you posted about the other day? Wow you are super speedy knitting and reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah i have read some books more than once. The Twilight series, some of the Harry Potter's and a few other. There aren't many I would reread though. I've read Middlesex and that was pretty good. I've tried reading Anna Karenina but I haven't made it very far. I would like to finish it one day though.

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!