Saturday, July 29, 2006

a revelation

On the knitlist, there have been a few postings about knitter's shoulder/knitter's thumb, etc. I posted back and asked, "What about knitter's pointer and middle finger on the right hand?" I mentioned how my two fingers didn't start bugging me until I began sock knitting (which I have currently put on the backburner!) Someone posted a general response about stretching before and after knitting and not just the fingers. She also mentioned acupuncture (no thank you!) or even yoga. One of the list moms replied to me personally (I feel ever so special!) and she suggested that I try continental knitting a try. I did a search, went to knittinghelp.com to view a video and then stupid me remembered that I'm supposed to already be a continental knitter. I knew I wasn't. I knew I wasn't an English knitter either (watched this video too!). Before I even went to that yarn shop and casually asked the woman about what to do about my pain I had a feeling that I was a combined knitter. I had been doing research on left-handed knitting and I just knew I was a combined knitter. I viewed the video again for combined knitting and it's exactly what I do!!! Then I went to Annie Modesitt's site and I had been there before. I have it bookmarked because her step by step process looked exactly how I knit. Now if only she'd talk about how to not be in pain!! SO, I'm not a left-handed continental knitter. I am a combined knitter. Here's what it said on Annie's site. :) Combination Knitting: "As the name implies, it's a combination of Western (or German/ English/ American) style knitting and Eastern knitting (practiced in Asia, Africa, South America and Islamic countries.)" Leave it to me that I'd even knit differently than most. On the knittinghelp.com site, it says: The advantage to this method is that Combined purling is as fast as Continental purling, and many people find it far easier to execute. Also, I've been told that this is an excellent method for knitting without looking (good knitting method for blind knitters or those with poor eye site?), because you can feel whether you've come to a knit or purl stitch, because they're oriented differently on the needle. This method presents a bit of challenge when following instructions that assume your stitches are oriented the other way. You can always re-orient your stitches when you come to them, before executing a required decrease, or you can learn the combined way of working that stitch in the most efficient manner. Now it makes much more sense why I would prefer purling to knitting. I can also knit w/o looking too. I thought everyone could. I'll look down once in a while just to make sure that I've knitted the correct stitch though. I have yet to notice the difference in how the stitches feel though. That's something I'll have to work on. Something else that's noteworthy is the fact that it specifically said following instructions for patterns might be a challenge. Whew. And I just thought it was because I was left handed! It's nice to finally know.

1 comment:

  1. Hi g-girl. Found you through the Irish Hiking scarf KAL (thinking about joining in on the fun...) I'm a lefty combination knitter too! However, when I was learning I "mirrored" a right-handed continental knitter to come up with my haphazard style. So, I knit everything from the right needle TO the left needle. As you can imagine, this causes all sorts of inconviences, but I'm working through them! Good to know there's more of us leftys and combos out there!

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!