Tuesday, September 19, 2006

another day of completion and then some

Okay as promised, here is a pic of the completed Irish Hiking wrist warmer. I was hoping to be done with the other one today but I decided to shower instead. I'm sure by the end of the evening I'll be able to say that I have a pair of them. It's a bit snug around the wrist but my fiance says if I keep wearing it, it'll loosen up. I hope so. My sister thought it was weird looking and didn't understand the purpose of making wrist warmers. She told me she can't do anything when she wears gloves because her fingers can't move. I explained to her that's why these freakin' things are fingerless. To which she mumbled with, 'You should make me some too.' Great. I'll have to have her pick out the color of yarn and maybe purchase it since the funds are low in my bank! If I spent the time I should've been sleeping thinking about patterns, yarn, and blogs is something wrong with me? Have I gone over the deep end? I just could not get to sleep. I thought about new projects I'd like to begin..the yarn that I'm going to need, reading blogs, writing blogs, etc. I wish I could get paid to do all this. Wouldn't that be nice? If we could all be paid to just knit and blog? I also thought about my future in terms of my career. Now, I am a teacher by nature. Remember a few blogs ago when I posted about what a small world it was and how I knew Mrs. Yarn Boy? Well yarn boy provided me with her email address (which was the same one she had when we were still in school together but I thought she had stopped using it) so I emailed her. I finally heard back from her and guess what. She isn't teaching either. So amidst all my pondering over patterns, yarn, and blogs, I also thought how many others in our small little cohort aren't teaching. I started to wonder what the average amount of years was that we all taught. I started to think what if I was the only one that stayed in teaching. Then I started to think that maybe something was wrong with me for sticking with a profession that others who had gone through the same program as I had at the same time had given up. I wondered, how did they make the jump from teaching into something else. That's my fork in the road. I don't know how to make that jump. I haven't emailed her back yet but I'm going to pick her brain about how she did it. Well, I finally finished this blasted thing, the IHS! I didn't think I ever would. 2 months and about 4 skeins of rowan cashsoft dk later, it is complete. It is about 4" x 65" (not including the tassels I added). I wish it was wider but what can you do. So all I have left on my knitting plate is besotted and my other IH wrist warmer which I'll finish in no time. I'm going to start working on some hats for my friend who will be moving to Nevada City. She gave me some yarn around when I first learned to knit from a kit she had from Michael's. I hadn't figured out what I wanted to make for her and now I know. I've got 2 skeins of a baby pink and 2 of a light blue both acrylic/nylon combo plus 1 skein of an ivory wool/acrylic combo. I had intended on making her a scarf before I knew how to make hats. Now that I know how to cable and have a new love for fingerless gloves/wrist warmers, I might make her a pair of those too. To my only subscriber and commenter, AR, what kind of sweater shall we make? ;)

2 comments:

  1. Good question about the sweater. I can't make up my mind about what I want - except long sleeves. And not a lot of $! I'm poor.

    Cute fingerless gloves. Whatever you do, don't make white ones, I made white ones for LD, and people thought she had two broken arms. They looked like casts. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, the wrist warmer and scarf are so pretty!

    The scarf is on my to do list, and Ivy too!

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!