Monday, June 25, 2007

look, some knitting!

While I've been away from the computer, I've been knitting like crazy! ;) Here's a nearly finished swell. I just need to block the thing and add the strings tassels. I absolutely love this finished item. Though I ran into some problems...first off, the pattern calls for size 5 needles. I had the size 5 needles but I didn't have the circs in the recommended length--but I did have them in 24 inches which were really hard to use so being the genius (you can laugh now!) that I am, I thought I could just use size 5 dpns. Um, no. The first hat would've fit the bulldog very nicely but that would've been a problem since this hat was supposed to be for my fiancé whose head is quite bigger than bulldog's! The only set of circs I had in a length of 16 inches were 8's. I frogged back to about where I cast on the rest of the hat and had at it. You can totally see the needle change. Ugh. Oh well..and that lil bump on top? I didn't account for my fiancé's big head being that big so I had to do a few more rows. I'll definitely be making this hat again though--most likely one for me with the leftover patons I still have lying around and I have a lot of cream left. :) Yesterday, the itch to cast on for some socks finally got scratched. Here's my progress on my first coupling sock. You can't really see the lacy pattern. I figured if I put the sock on you'd be able to see it better but no. Maybe after I've blocked the pair when they're finally finished. I'm to the gusset!
Before casting on for my sock, I tried teaching myself the figure 8 cast-on and the magic-cast on. HA. I'm going to stick with my rectangular toe until I can figure the two out..or I may look into the turkish cast on. We'll see!

13 comments:

  1. Swell turned out great, but does it really get cold enough in California to wear a hat like that?
    Love your new socks...such a pretty color :)

    happy knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo. I was thinking of trying those same socks. I have some CTH that I'm not sure what to do with.

    Very pretty yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love swell! I may have to knit that too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hat is cute! Maybe a light blocking will take care of the bump.

    I love your new sock. Pretty colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sock looks great. I haven't tried toe-up yet, maybe with the seawool. Even though the stitch pattern is not clear it still has a cool effect on the colour of the yarn, which is fab-u-lous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colors in those socks. How is that pattern to knit? And Swell looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't tried the magic-cast on, but I did use the figure 8 for Rhyon's cast sock. I found it was hard to get rid of the gaps in the toes. :c(

    Your sock looks wonderful! And the hat is divine! Love it!!

    April

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the hat - it's very cute! And the socks are cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Swell is very cute! Love the socks - what yarn is this?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both are adorable!! those socks look super comfturbuls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love the hat -- even with the little i-can't-believe-your-head's-that-big bump at the top.
    Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've nominated you as a Rockin' Girl Blogger! Check my blog for details...:)

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!