Sunday, May 16, 2010

Things that bring me happiness

It has been nearly a month since Rachel of BMore Crafty gifted me with the Happy 101 Award. Thank you so very much, Rachel for making me have to deliberate over what makes me happy. After the last few months, there are so many more things that make me happy than ever before.

1. My husband (of course). I am so so glad that he is really beginning to feel better (that in itself makes me happy). He's been making a point of trying to do more around the house (his finger still isn't completely healed but it's getting quite close) like washing dishes, getting meals ready, making the bed, etc. We live each day a bit differently since he got sick and we are definitely more appreciative of the fact that we have one another.

2. Knitting definitely makes me do cartwheels. lol. I don't know where I'd be without it. It kept me sane that month spent in the hospital that's for sure. Plus I love seeing my recipients faces when they receive their knitted item. :)

3. Books. Another way that I have been able to escape 'real life.'  I've been picking up some good reads lately too. Currently I'm living in France with Julia Child and it's literally almost as if I really am living in the France that she came to love and adore.  Books have always been an escape for me. I'm just glad I was able to rediscover them during my 'sabbatical' from teaching. haha. From the moment I select a book all the way until I finish reading it I'm in a new world. A place that is oftentimes better than what's happening in my real life.

4. The Monkey truly makes life brighter. This last week, we've been spending a lot of time together. I've been trying to be a stable figure in her current turbulent life and she's starting to take notice. She was one of the reasons we wanted to be closer to my family and now (with my own current turbulent life!) she's one of the only reasons my hubby and I are still here.

5.  The blogging universe. I love being able to have a place where I can dump my heart on the ground if I need to and not feel vulnerable to the masses. I also love looking at other people's blogs for inspiration, wisdom, and sometimes comfort. I have made a lot of amazing friends through blogging. I love seeing everyone's finished projects, recipes they've discovered, tutorials on crafty things, etc. How can you not be happy when you have stuff like that to look forward to?

6. Writing and Receiving Letters. I have been pen palling since I was in middle school. It has helped keep me going and it continues to keep me going even now. Pen palling has been another avenue in which I have made many friends all over the world. It has also helped me work through life's little lessons that we often get handed.

7. My sister. I have yet to admit it to her, but she keeps me sane (though I know she's aware of it!) and she's my rock. She is the one person in this godforsaken family that won't judge and won't try to fix things (other than myself). She will just listen and be there as much as she can.

8.  Inner Peace. With the rough year we have had, I am glad that despite everything, I can still hold my head up and not regret a single thing. I have made peace with all that has transpired and though some things have not turned out in ways that I had hoped, I'm okay with it. I can move on and know that all of this is for the best.

9.  Relationships. Right now, I have been hard at work establishing a good, solid relationship with my SIL. We are getting closer with each passing day. That makes me happy. It hurts knowing all that she had to endure before she felt comfortable enough to let her true self shine again. I am glad that we have been there for her during this horrible time and have helped give her the strength to not only get through it all but to see that she can stand on her own.

10. Each day that I'm given to live. After all that I have been through, I can't help but appreciate the fact that I'm alive and have endured (so far!) all that has been thrown at me.

Now to nominate some bloggers that bring me happiness: Knit & Purl Mama, Knittinwolf, Hakucho, MizMiffy, crazyknittingfool, Kim, Leslie, elspeth, Val, and last but definitely not least Carole!

4 comments:

  1. I bring you happiness!!! Thats the most amazing thing anyone has ever said to me. Thank you so much, your letters, blogs and Rav pages bring a lot of joy and smiles to me too my darling. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks for naming me! Great list by the way. I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really lovely list. When things are most stressful and turbulent in life, sometimes it's nice to reflect on all the joy we have.

    And I was thinking on pen pals and letter writing today - when I was a kid, I was an avid pen paller, and I think it's something I'd love to get back into.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so open and share so much of your feelings. There are so many people that just can't do that. I am very impressed with your list and completely agree with #10. We all take so much for granted. Life really is a gift. Thank you for sharing and please give my joeyjoey a big hug and a kiss. I miss you both.

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!