Friday, August 17, 2007

we've got a magic loop cuff!!

I seriously wish I had learned magic loop sooner in my knitting lifetime. Thanks to Amanda for getting the ball rolling! I think if I hadn't had this last week off in between my two jobs, maybe I wouldn't have sat down to really try to figure it all out. Who knows. It's much easier than I thought it was going to be, that's for sure.
I knew that you divide the stitches in half but the whole notion of how do I knit the stitches is what truly scared me. Once I got it, I couldn't believe it's simplicity! And is it ever fast! On dpns it would've taken me forever just to do the ribbing (I currently despise twisted rib!) with a few breaks in between because of my hand hurting from the awkward way I start holding my dpns while doing the twisted rib. I'm still waiting for the kicker...there's gotta be something I'm not getting! When I showed my fiance, he kind of threw up his hands and said, "I. don't. get. it." I had to sit him down, show and explain what was going on with the stitches. He didn't understand how they came off though. In the end, he liked magic loop too. Okay, off to get the rest of that sleeve worked on! Sarah, you have to try magic loop now!!


11 comments:

  1. Is it really that much faster? The one time I tried it it seemed way slower than DPNs. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

    I'm so impressed that you've been sticking with Thermal all this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's something I need to try...magic loop! I really don't have any problems with dpn except for the fact that I'm deathly afraid to lose one of my needles. I won't take anything on dpn with me to work on.
    Good luck and have fun with your magic loop :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!! Socks AND Magic Loop!!! Welcome to the "addiction"!!! LOL....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do as you command! http://eatmyoxygen.com/?p=1144
    :D

    Looks good! I haven't decide on what I think of ML yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magic loop is the ONLY way to go. Once you go magic loop, you never go back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've had some problems with ladders on my dpn projects, (i found a tutorial on how to get rid of them but i haven't done anything on dpns recently to try it out) so i'd be interested to learn about magic loop. the only thing is, then i'd have to buy sets of circulars! i'm so cheap! glad to hear that it's working for you, though! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love magic loop. I didn't get it at first, either, but once I did, it made so much sense!

    Can't wait to see that sweater all put together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned Magic Loop after I decided that socks on dpn's was too fussy. I then went on to two circs, which is the way I love now--not so much pulling of that long loop back and forth, and I creased a couple of Addi cables doing the magic loop. But the two methods are really similar, so I can use either one. Have you tried two circs yet? Once you've done magic loop, it's really easy too!

    BTW, Thermal looks awesome! Looks like you are almost done! Good luck on the new job next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I learned magic loop on the second sock or my first pair! I'm not convinced that its that much faster though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love magic looping! Won't go back to DPNs!

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!