Monday, March 1, 2010

Stitches West 2010

Wow. Can't there be a Stitches-like event on a daily basis?? It was so great to have so many yarn vendors at my fingertips. There was so much yarn, so many knitters, and so, so many things to see! Apparently there was no photography allowed in the marketplace. I realized this on Sunday as we were leaving. lol But I did manage to take two photos on Saturday--and a gal at the discontinued brand name yarn booth told me to make sure I didn't have any flash on my camera because they'd come take my camera away from me! Lucky for me, I don't use flash.
Here's a pair of giant addi circs from the Paradise Fibers booth.
And here's giant swift in front of the Paradise Fibers booth!
As far as purchases went, I did a lot of damage. I was good in the sense that I didn't just buy yarn because I felt like it. Every purchase I made was towards a project I plan to undertake soon. When we left Sunday, there were still a bunch of knitters scattered around the Convention Center knitting with their newly purchased yarns and I thought..."Dang it, I can't even start any new projects until Easter!" Overall, it was a great and wonderful experience. We can't wait for next year!
Yesterday, I got to speak to Romi a bit at her booth. She was the only 'famous' knitter I saw while at Stitches. I missed the gal who created Citron at the Wabi Sabi booth. I picked up some laceweight from the Wabi Sabi booth, and Lisa, (i think!) said that I just missed the genius behind the Citron shawl about an hour before. She shared this with me because they actually had a Citron on display knitted up in their laceweight and I just had to have some of my own! So be on the lookout for a citron in wabi sabi laceweight. I will have more than enough yardage for two shawls in fact! Oh and the hubby was approached by a friend of Jared Flood who commented on hubby's hat. (He wore his habitat hat). :)
I picked up a couple of patterns. I would've gotten a few more but I had to hold back in some way!
 I also picked up some delicious lotion!  Margaret from Happy Hands is a doll.
Okay...I'm done stalling. Here's what you've all been waiting for,  my stash from Stitches West.
To break it down,
2 skeins of malabrigo in frank ochre from jimmy beans wool (lovely, lovely ladies!),
2 skeins of malabrigo lace in lettuce from The Mannings
2 more skeins of malabrigo lace but in continental also from The Mannings,
I also picked up 4 different skeins of frog tree alpaca in sportweight from The Mannings.  Love them too. Great couple. 
1 skein of Wabi Sabi lush handdyed lace in Peacock, (I've already sung her praises. She was super nice and she complimented me on my cafe au lait mitts!
1 skein of berroco blackstone tweed from Webs (SUPER crowded. Such a long line but the staff was really nice and helpful!) and 1 skein of Wisdom yarns Poems from Paradise Fibers. Both are going to be used for my husband's Turn A Square hat. We didn't discover the girlyness of the yarn until after the fact. I keep telling him that the pink shouldn't come out though. Guess we'll have to see. He doesn't mind pink but if we can avoid it, that would be great!Oh yeah, he picked out both skeins of yarn. This was a first for him. I think he quite liked it!
2 skeins of superwash lace from Tess' Designer Yarns in a reddish hue. 
This will be used for a curved shawl with diamond edging from Victorian Lace Today for my mom. I'm figuring that this will be a better fit for her. I'm still going to try to knit as much of the other shawl as I can though but I like this pattern better. 
2 skeins of Mission Falls 1824 Wool in Spice from yarndogs
This yarn is going to be used for a Sidewinder Hat for the hubby. By the way, he picked out both the pattern and the yarn!
1 skein of Wisdom Yarns Poems Socks in Cruise from Paradise Fibers.
And finally, the most expensive purchase of the entire weekend--and also the scariest (if you ask me) was 
 
7 skeins of garnstudio silke-tweed in denim blue from Full Thread Ahead. 
Unfortunately their new website isn't up yet so I can't provide a link. The owner was super nice. In the last hour of the marketplace on Sunday, she said that everything in a certain section was 50% off. She also shared with us that she was trying to get rid of all the yarn because so was hoping to get rid of the pod that is in her driveway! My husband and I were in search of some tweed yarn because I had mentioned to him on Saturday night (while I was perusing all my patterns and pattern books!) that I could probably make him this sweater vest that I had a pattern for in Closely Knit. Well, he found some! Half-priced no less. I just hope it turns out as good as in the book! I picked a super simple pattern (straight stockinette) so it shouldn't be too bad. I want to eventually work my way up to this cabled sweater vest I saw in an old issue of IK but we'll see. Ooh, this one is nice too!
Oh we also purchased some very berry strawberry balsamic vinegar and some garlic balsamic bistro oil from Bistro Blends. The stuff is absolutely to die for.  I am not even a huge fan of balsamic vinegar and now I'm sold on the stuff. We tasted a few of the ones the saleman had on stock but only left with two. The guy that was there, Nico, was really nice. He's hoping this is his last year of being there at Stitches! Poor guy. We told him we hoped that we'd see him next year.
So all in all, Stitches West was a fantastic experience!:)

10 comments:

  1. I meant to ask you if you were going to this. SO JEALOUS!!! Next year I'm going to have to put it on my MUST list.

    Working on a letter for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waaaait a minute - you were there on Sunday? I was there on Sunday! I wish we could have met up! Nice yarn, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy damage girl! So jealous, especially since I'm on a yarn diet this year!

    Holy cow!!!

    Nice stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It certainly looks like you had a fabulous time by the size of your plunder ;) You lucked out!! Happy Knitting with your new loot :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, consider me officially green with envy. I would love LOVE love to go to Stitches someday. Alas, it just hasn't been feasible thus far. But it's on my list of things to do before I die (and I just hope I have oodles of money to take with me so that I can come home with a bunch of fabulous new stash like you did). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have given you an award on my blog:

    http://knitpurlknitpearl.blogspot.com/2010/03/beautiful-blogger.html

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous yarn.
    I'm jealous... not only the yarn etc but the fat that your DH went with you. Mine would have NOTHING to do with it.

    I think I'd be afraid to go to something like that... I'd come away with way too much or more likely nothing.

    Did I tell you that I was at the Mannings 2 Junes ago? What a great place. All I bought that day was a flicker and a niddy noddy. The yarn was overwhelming. I may try to go again this June for their spin day... what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! you got quite the haul there! So you liked The Mannings?! That is one of my (sort of) LYS's!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!