Tuesday, January 30, 2007

my first knitpicks purchase!

Ugh. I did a stupid thing! I had a blog all typed up and then I wanted to check to see if my links all worked (which they did) and I closed the window without even thinking so I have to retype this post! :( Anyway, I made my first knitpicks purchase today. I saw this and immediately thought, "omg, I have to make this! It is totally something I would wear. I also decided to purchase some lace-weight yarn! I got some shimmer in the turquoise splendor for this traveling vines scarf I saw online. I thought about getting a yarn that was more fall-based in terms of colors but I'm more of a blue girl. I considered the pink though but thought it'd be smarter to go with the blue hue. I can't wait to get my yarn! :) The last thing I need to be doing is starting anything new but that goes for all of us, doesn't it? And we're such enablers of each other!!! lol. I have been working on my sister's scarf every chance I get. I'm still trying to get through the first skein. I find once I'm through with the first skein, the rest comes easy. I don't know how many skeins I'll need for this scarf. I decided that it shouldn't be too long because it's so thin. I get to keep the leftovers and I'm hoping to use the leftovers to go with the sws I picked up over the holidays to try my hand at one of these. Seeing how cool AR's turned out made me wanna make one for myself! :) I went to go observe at the school I will start working at two days a week starting next week. There are only two classes in this school. It's super grass-roots. Both of the teachers are wonderful. I will be working with a handful of Kindergarteners and two of the first graders. I have to tell you that the three years that I spent teaching first grade was in a teaching situation identical (pretty much!) to the one these two teachers are in. What I mean is, they're in one big room which is divided in two via two partitions. One side is first grade and the other side is Kindergarten. The difference btwn my teaching situation and theirs is I didn't ever have to teach from the same wall. What I mean is, since they only have the two partitions (which are back to back) they both only have that same space to teach from. That makes it hard because you're constantly hearing one another. If they had other wall space the problem could be solved very easily but they really don't so they make do. As I sat there observing, I started to wonder if I was a sell-out. I taught in a similar (if not worse!) situation as theirs but here I am looking for something else. I don't want to say better because anything could've been better than the last place I was at! I spent three years teaching in the inner city and I miss it. I miss the students. I don't miss the administration I had to deal with or the organization that runs my old school at all but the kids I miss. In the school I was at, I pretty much only had myself to rely on. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I had that experience and it actually has helped me to become a stronger teacher but I want something different. I want to be at a school where money isn't a hardship for the students, the students show up ready to learn, they've had a good breakfast before arriving at school, and their parents are able to participate in their education in some way or other. I want to have supplies provided for me rather than me always having to provide my own and having to remind my students how poor our school is. I want to see the flipside. I want to be spoiled a bit. I think after those three hard years (with 3 different locations, 3 different principals, you get my drift--I hope!), I want to be spoiled a little. Is that wrong?? I got a taste of what a school like that is like via the school that I subbed at a couple of times last year in the Palisades and I have to say that I'm a bit jaded from my inner city experience! Is it the money that makes kids who have more a bit brattier than the ones who don't? I heard that some of them will try to bargain with you even! Am I ready for that??? I don't know. Guess we'll see. I need to get my applications in to some of the public school districts as well. Oh yeah, it's pouring (well it was!) in LA! I had been home maybe about 20 min (even had time to go run down to the laundromat get a load in) and WHAM, pouring rain! The weather forecasters predicted rain in the afternoon-not in the morning! Oh well. We need it.

7 comments:

  1. Ooh! Buy more yarn!

    P.S. Your post did work since it posted twice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet this stuff will be pretty! I hadn't seen the surprise yet, but I like that thermal sweater... but when Venezia is done I'll probably move up to bigger needles for my sweaters, for a while at least.

    I interact with a lot of rich kids at fencing, and there is definitely a *type*--when rich kids are messed up, they're a specific kind of messed up. I think a lot of it has to do with having parents who (warning: total stereotypes ahead) never give them real consequences at home and bail them out of consequences applied by others. I'm not saying this is true for all rich kids, just for the messed up ones. Establishing discipline with these kids can be tough, but it's worth it.

    Longest comment EVAR! feel free to email me (everwhelmingliz at gmail) if you feel like it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yay! You're gonna do a sweater! It's a really cool one, too!

    I say work where you'll be happy. If you're not happy, you won't be a good teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some pretty nice projects to work on...will be watching and waiting...

    I sure hope something will work out that you can get the perfect job for you...you deserve it :)

    Happy knitting(when you get your yarn!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!! I saw that sweater and thought ooh that would be so comfortable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heart knitpicks :D Can't wait to see the Shimmer knit up! I just did my first lace project, but can't post a picture of it till later in tee month. :( Since it's for a swap and the personn it's for reads my blog. I want to show it off! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that thermal sweater! I hadn't seen the pattern yet... it must go on my list.

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!