Monday, April 2, 2012

B is for Books

I am a hoarder collector of books.  I have cookbooks.  I have children's books.
 I have teaching books (this is only some of them!)
I have knitting books (again, only some of them)!
I have books that I read for pleasure that I own (not to mention a stack of library books under my bed!).
What does one do with all these books? I don't even use them all! I just like to have them. Is that wrong? Sure there are kindles and nooks and other forms of e-readers but like most traditionalists, I like the feel of a book in my hand. I like being able to manually turn a page.  I have yet gotten used to the idea of just scrolling to the next page.  I don't even like books on cd!
When the hubs and I moved into a much smaller apt (try going from a 3 bedroom to a 1 bedroom!), I could no longer store my children's books with me.  They actually live in my classroom in a wonderful closet that only I have access to. This is the first time I've ever been away from my children's books. It's really weird.  And now that I have been teaching Kindergarten for the last two years, there really might not be any reason for me to hold onto some of the 1st-3rd grade teaching materials I still own.  I keep searching for reasons to purge some of my books.  I used to keep every book I ever read (that I had purchased).  My sister and I used to swap them.  Now that she is in Chicago it isn't as easy to swap them. I've actually taken to donating some to our local library. Are you a collector of books? How do you keep them from taking over your home??

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. I have so many books in my house. Still, every now and then, I will clean out the collection. I usually donate to our local thrift store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a book reader. I don't like e-readers. For as computer savvy as my daughter is, she doesn't like e-readers either. I like holding a book.
    I have cookbooks packed away upstairs that I have not looked at in years.
    Not having the money to buy more and more books, plus knowing I don't have room keeps me in line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fiance and I are most definitely a collector of books! I understand your obsession! We generally have not kept them from taking over. They're everywhere! With a floor to nearly ceiling bookshelf in the living room, a smaller bookshelf in the bedroom, and all of my school books at school, we have managed to be somewhat organized about them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avid collector! I have a bookshelf in every room of my house, except the bathrooms. Truly! I'm so with you on the feel of a book/page in your hand. I could never go electronic! Honestly, my first thought was, "But what if you end up doing something else besides Kindergarten in the future?" :) Sometimes we just know that it's time to let some books go. I always feel secure in knowing I can go to the library and get a book, if need be. Yep, love books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Books are a good thing to collect :)
    I try to limit the ones I actually purchase unless they will be reference. I like borrowing books from the library...that way I enjoy them, but don't have to find a place to store them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used to have a hugh library, but my husband's eye sight is failing and will eventually be unable to read. So we sold off our large collection and over time we have moved over entirely to audio. Now I still have my cook books and my craft books and a small collection of novels, but the novels I circulate to others. I don't keep them. We do use the library as well.

    I find I love audio books because I can do other things while I listen: knit, walk outside, clean house, drive the car. It is great fun and I am exposed to far more books than it I waited to have the time to sit down and read the actual book. I do enjoy holding books and don't have an e-reader.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a book collector too. I have a super hard time letting go. I don't know why. I do borrow from the library too and I also only get a hard copy if I cannot find it as an ebook. I also listen to audiobooks while in the car as I am always in the car these days. It's also easier to bring an ebook on my phone than to carry around an actual book since I already have to carry all the kids stuff when we are out. I do get to sneak in reading if I am not driving or at the doctors office etc.

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!