Wednesday, April 18, 2012

P is for Piano

My parents bought a piano when I was a kid.  Nobody knew how to play the damn thing.  Both my siblings were too young to learn so the burden fell upon me.  All the other Filipino kids were taking piano, why not make me do it too? I think I was in the 5th grade.  My teacher came maybe twice a week? I did okay in the beginning but it wasn't something I enjoyed.  I didn't play for very long though.  At my first recital, I made a mistake (there's that word again!). I had to play Moonlight Sonata. I can't remember what my mistake was but I do remember saying to the audience that I wasn't done yet (to which they chuckled) and then I finished up the performance.  Oh yeah, and it was just my mom and I that went.  My next recital was supposed to be a Christmas-y one. I had learned how to play "White Christmas." For those of you that have been following my blog for a while, you know what winners my parents are. (rolling my eyes) Well, they didn't even take me to my recital.  It was on a week night.  They had more important things to do. You know, like watch tv.  I eventually stopped taking lessons.  I think my teacher ended up moving back to the Philippines or something. I was relieved.  Nobody else after me ever took a lesson.  I'm lucky in that I can still (mostly) read notes.  Do I regret not really learning how to play the piano? Sure I do.  But I wasn't enjoying it one bit.  I didn't even want to learn how to play.  Lesson learned:  If I ever have children, I will not force them to learn how to play an instrument just because everyone else is doing it.



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Talaga? Sige, I know what you mean. As a teacher of Filipino and Korean students in the Manila area, I can't count how many students who do NOT like taking their musical lessons. Musically, the only thing I can play is the radio. I don't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to learn guitar as a kid, but that lasted one summer. Not into the instrument thing. I did also learn alto sax in high school for 2 years.

    Is that piano the one you learned on?

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!