Thursday, April 5, 2012

E is for Education

That there is my class space. I don't say room because I share a HUGE room with the other Kindergarten class! It wasn't until I began working at my current school that I began to truly see the relationship between theory and practice and how the interaction of the political world upon both really affects everyone involved.  It is a charter school and the founder is a very impassioned woman (who I can now call friend).  We have had many discussions about how teaching is done at our school and the whys.  I get what she wants to happen because of the school.  I get her thinking. I get her theory.  She has been trying to empower me into speaking up. (Think Revenge of The Sith after the battle between Obi Wan and Anakin and Obi Wan yells out, "You were the chosen one.") I tend to be on the quiet side during staff meetings-but our meetings don't involve theory or why we're doing what we do.  It's more about how doing recess before lunch has affected our students and what the plan is for the next enrichment event, not exactly the arena for theoretical discussions behind why it is important to let children come up with their own solutions (for example).
Education is suffering.  That shouldn't be news to anyone.  Everyone is losing out. It is currently a lose-lose situation.  Kindergarteners are expected to know how to read by the end of the school year!! When you were in Kindergarten, were you reading by the year's end?  Of course some of you were. But there are many that don't even have one inkling of interest in letters or learning their sounds for that matter.  Unfortunately, most schools have to shove this stuff down the kids' throats.  My school doesn't fall within that bracket.  We still do things only if they are developmentally appropriate. But, if a child is going to attempt to transfer to another school, it is usually advised that the parents wait until after 2nd grade.  I guess by that point, a student from our school will be performing just like any other 2nd grader.
Sure the government wants its citizens to be able to compete with the rest of the world but what about being a kid?  The pendulum is swinging much too quickly if you ask me.


Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Your provided information is very useful to every one, thanks & regards,
    Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXCELLENT post! I was just talking about this with someone. About how kids are pushed to learn so much, but by second grade it doesn't matter, really. My old elementary teacher - who's retired now but taught for over 30 years - calls it the sandwich effect. A child who leaves kindergarten reading and writing and one who leaves without these skills are very far apart on the scale. But by the end of second grade, the two students will have just about met in the middle.

    So what's the point of MAKING our children into little soldiers who have no time for play- so vitally important - when the majority of them will all be in the same boat by age 8?

    Sorry for the rant - so glad to hear your founder is so impassioned! Be the change!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They want kids to read by the end of kindergarten but we still give high school diplomas to illiterates. My son will start kindergarten next year and is almost reading, but he has been read to and encouraged since birth. And he is in an excellent preschool. He was not pressured or expected, he saw mom and dad read, he wanted to learn, he asked to be taught.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really not looking forward to Clark going to school. The amount of homework I see 1st and 2nd graders coming home with is crazy. A 6 or 7 year old should not have to do 2-3 hours of homework a night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do push the kids earlier and earlier. I always thought kindergarten was for playing...not any more...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely space!

    I also thought kindergarten was supposed to be fun. I fear Sean will be bored as he is already doing addition and we are working on subtraction too and he also is almost reading too.

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!