Sunday, April 15, 2012

M is for Mistakes


The above pic that I found is so true!  My a to z posts often don't come to me until late in the evening.  Occasionally I will do a pre-post but yesterday's topic came to me as I was undoing row upon row of incorrect knitting.  As a knitter, I have made countless mistakes.  In the beginning, you don't really notice them.  As you become more skilled, you learn how to cover up for them.  Eventually (I think) you get to the point where you realize that you and possibly other knitters are the only ones that will even notice the mistake(s). The particular project I was working on last night was one I couldn't cover up.  I had to undo all those rows.  If I kept going, the particular motif that I was working on wouldn't have worked.  I haven't picked up that shawl since I undid about 3 or 4 rows of work (at a rate of 230+ stitches per row).  I am working on an easier and more forgiving shawl.  Though I do intend to finish the aforementioned shawl before the evening is over.  
As a teacher, I make many mistakes. I don't make a big deal when my students make a mistake either. As I have learned, every mistake is a learning experience.  Had I not ever made a mistake as a knitter, I might not know how to deal with them now.  Children need to see that it's okay to not be perfect.  Growing up, I was supposed to be perfect. For a while I was.  Then I outgrew that need to be perfect (and started working with children). So embrace your mistakes, they make you who you are.    


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. This is the perfect attitude for a teacher. So many children are raised to think that only "perfect" counts. It is one of those faulty human attitudes that is inherited from your parents. And once it is part of your personality it is extremely hard to be rid of.

    Teachers need to teach the art of making "mistakes" and the value of learning from them.

    Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, Found you via a to z challenge. Nice to see another crafter here. Love the quote about mistakes being stepping stones for learning. So true. As a seed beader I have many times had to undo rows of stitching. It is indeed frustrating. I do agree with you that sometimes we are the only ones who will notice a tiny mistake, but I think being a beader, knitter, etc also means being a bit of a perfectionist. - Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That saying is so true! What a good philosophy!

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!