Tuesday, April 19, 2011

P is for..Psychology

I was a Psychology major when I did my two and a half years of undergrad studies at San Francisco State University. My first two years of higher learning were spent at the local junior college (not by choice). I was given a car instead of a ticket out of here.  I wasn't a fan of Sociology or of Anthropology. I knew I wouldn't make a good English major. I got by in Math. History? Meh. Art? Meh. Sciences? Ha! So Psychology it was because it encompassed so many things for me. One of my favorite things to do in high school while hanging out with friends was people watch and try to figure people out. I still like doing that! So I'm going along taking all my classes that I need to graduate with a Psych degree when about a year before I was going to graduate, a friend of mine who was about to graduate with a Psych degree said to me, "You can't DO anything with just a Psych degree!!!!!!!!" She freaked me out.
It was then that I had to take a step back and re-evaluate the situation. Here I was about to graduate and I had no idea what I wanted to do after graduation. I began to ask myself what comes naturally to me? The answer? I didn't want to face it but it was inevitably going to be my destiny. Being with children came naturally to me. Next step was to double check that this wasn't just some crazy notion. I started looking into preschools. I started volunteering at a Head Start facility in the TL district. Being that I was a college student, I didn't go every day that I was supposed to (I had to be there by 8 AM!) but when I did go, I had fun. I was amazed by the whole Head Start phenomenon. I began thinking that maybe I could get started at a Head Start and eventually work my way behind the scenes.
This was also the time I decided that I could probably get a minor in something while I figure out my next steps so I opted to minor in Special Education. My favorite class of all was Intro to Atypical Infant Development. I wanted to BE my professor (I still kinda do!). My second favorite class was Human Communicative Development & Disorders. Granted the subject matter was not one for everyone but I was enthralled. I was beginning to open the door (and my mind) to the idea of Speech Pathology. It didn't hurt that there was a really cute boy in the Speech Path program that I got to admire everytime I had Atypical Infant Development!
In my eyes, it was too late to go back and take all the necessary courses for Speech Pathology. I was going to school on the parents' dime. They would have killed me. So I had to settle for the next best thing, a Bachelor's in Psychology with a Minor in Special Education.
Here I am, 13 years later and I currently teach Kindergarten. Do I get to use my Psych degree in the classroom? I should say yes. Yet one of my parents who just recently found out I had a Psych degree had the audacity to say to me,"So what happened?" The nerve! Do I wish I could go back and do Speech Pathology? A thousand times yes but I keep thinking it's too late to do.

6 comments:

  1. It takes a special person to teach special education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately I have been thinking of going back to get my masters in counseling. I was a political science major - talk about a degree you can't really do anything with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's never too late. If you felt it - and still feel it, it's worth considering going back to school. Working with special needs isn't a calling everyone gets.

    Hope you're having fun on the AtoZ. I'm glad there are so many letters since it took us intil P to meet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with sapphireblue on this one. It takes someone very special to teach, let alone teach those with problems. You're an angel on Earth. Nice to "meet" you thru the a-z challenge.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly looks to be you found your calling, but it's never too late to try something else :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What nerve of that parent!

    Yeah, it takes a lot of patience to teach special ed.

    I think you definitely are on the right path, Kindergarten is such a fun age. I sometimes wish I could go back to kindergarten and play!

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!