Monday, April 25, 2011

U is for Unfold

 I have been busy knitting up a storm over the last day or two. This afternoon, my U for today came to me. :) First here's a finished though blocking shot of my pea soup.
I probably added two more pattern repeats to make up for the laceweight yarn I decided to use. I love the ruffle. :) I love all things that ruffle.
This morning, I used this:
to cast on for
a close up:

The pattern is damask by Kitman Figueroa. I have been very skittish of all her patterns. The reason being, I don't like casting on 100+ stitches. It causes me great stress. I'm just not good at it. I either end up with too much on my long tail cast on or not enough. Am I bad at estimating certain things? Definitely. Hence the reason why I am not so great at casting on 100+ stitches. It typically takes me two tries. The perfectionist in me might even go for a third because the second try I usually end up having too much leftover. Here's to hoping I don't run out of yarn! The one good thing about starting with so many stitches, is eventually the stitch count decreases. Yowza. I just looked at the last page of the pattern and I have to get through 126 rows before I reach completion. I'm about to begin row 15. Sigh.
Now here's where Unfold comes in! As I was looking at the written pattern (the chart and I just weren't jiving too well), I thought about how knitters start with a pattern (pictured above) and then what unfolds is this amazing beauty. Granted my beauty is still in her baby stages but she is surely shaping up to be something special. Next on my list will be an aphrodite.  The hubs and I already took a look at the beads at the local Beverly's. When I get closer to casting on, I will probably take my yarn with me so I can match it up to some pretty beads. I'm excited to knit my first project with beads! I've been looking for something inspiring.

8 comments:

  1. So pretty! I love ruffles too. Antyhing girlie. I'm left handed. But I dont knit. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love ALL thing ruffle! Pea Soup is absolutely stunning, seriously...gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That scarf is very pretty! I hate casting on more than 100 stitches as well. It's just tedious. I have a sweater I want to start in the round, and it has 200. I've been putting it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by the blog today! I LOVE this pattern, and I LOVE the color you used!! Beautiful! I am totally putting it on my "to do" list. And it might just cut in line in front of some others. lol

    Also, in case you didn't know, (and I swear I am not spam or some sort of salesperson, I just use this and love it and it helps) there is a Nancy's Knit Kard that gives you a mathematical solution based on your needle size in order for you to measure out the exact amount of yarn you will need for a long tailed cast on, complete with a perfect amount of tail for weaving in. It is amazing and I don't know how she figured it out, but I swear on a stack of Interweave Knits that it works. It has greatly reduced my long tailed cast on frustrations.
    http://www.nancysknitknacks.com/LISTgallery7.htm

    Love your blog, and I can't wait to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, blogspot might have put my comment in your spam box bcs it had a link in it. I promise it isn't spam! :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love pea soup! Came out nice. Love ruffles too!

    Can't wait to see the new pattern. I love her patterns too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks great! Yay for you getting to knit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. meri, ooooh, i'll have to look into that nancy's knit kard. maybe i won't feel like a long tail cast on doofus any longer and i'll stop avoiding projects with too many stitches in their cast on! :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!