Friday, April 22, 2011

S is for Sleep

In the last year or two I have lost an inordinate amount of sleep. I know I won't ever get it back but I do like to think about what life would be if I just got two more extra hours each day (which only happens when I am off from school!). I also think about how different things would be if the day just began two hours later than usual. Granted it would end two hours later but I'd have so much more energy at the start!
I don't always nap to make up for the sleep lost. Who has time? I used to make time everyday around 5 or so for a little nap. For me 20-30 minutes is quite enough.
Do I try to go to bed earlier to make up for the loss of sleep? Ha. You'd think I would have the sense to do that but I don't. Once in an while I will but for the most part, I am in bed at about 11, 11:30, sometimes midnight if I'm watching something or working on a project!
I can tell you that I am more mindful of my need for more sleep.  I am also trying not to screw up my sleep patterns too badly while I am on break from school. I have been going to bed at about the same time as I normally would if it were a work day. The only difference is I don't have to get up at 6:30 to get ready. I naturally wake up around 9AM sans an alarm clock. The drawback to getting an extra two hours of sleep, is everything just starts later. I get ready for the day later and I'm more lazy.
I've noticed that I don't recall any of my dreams now that I haven't been getting nearly enough sleep. It makes me wonder if that's typical. Not that I've always remembered my dreams, but I at least used to think that I had some!

5 comments:

  1. I remember when I used to be able to stay up late, get a few hours of sleep, and be up and running again. Can't do that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stay up way to late most nights. I just like having the quiet time to myself after the boys go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, maybe you're just sleeping harder when you are sleeping and that's why you don't remember your dreams...? I'm on a 6:00 am wake up since my daughter started high school an I don't like it at all. But I've heard that you can make up sleep, like maybe up to a week later?? At least that's what I tell myself when I sleep extra late on the weekend. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Napping!? Who has time. I used to nap whenever Sean would Nap. When baby 2 came, I never napped. With Quentin, and both older 2 in daycare, I used to nap when he was newborn, but never have the time now, always SO much to do when he's napping.

    Extra sleep at night? Ha!? I'm a night owl.

    I don't understand how some parents go to bed at like 9pm, and get things done. HOW!??

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps- we'll probably get sleep back again when we're retired. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!