Wednesday, October 6, 2010

kids say the funniest things

I had two home visits today and currently, they have been my two favorite ones. Now, all the other teachers schedule the home visits to be at most 30 minutes. After three days of doing home visits, I haven't been able to get out the door in less than an hour. I don't mind it though. I like getting to talk with the parents because we can't have those conversations at the end of the school day or even before school starts and today, the girls I went to visit were the ones not letting me leave. The last one kept trying to feed me. She wanted to give me chips and salsa..then it was cereal. She did a dance for me and sang me a song and told me some gossip about their neighbor. It was cute. I could've stayed all night. She offered to let me sleep on their couch!
The first one I had this afternoon has the coolest mom. I just recently got to talk to her more because when school started, she was very pregnant so she'd come pick up her daughter and just go. She had the baby maybe about 4-6 weeks ago? And for the first couple of weeks, her daughter was staying with her grandparents.  It's been just recently that I get to see her on a daily basis and chat.  Her daughter is SO lucky to have her as her mother. Finally someone with some sense. :) After three days of home visits, the trend seems to be that my single moms all mostly live back at home. I guess it's what happens around these parts.
I have two more scheduled for tomorrow and another two on Friday and one of my Friday appointments is going to feed me dinner! By the end of the weekend, I'll have visited at least 11 of my students--leaving only 13 more to go. I have three that haven't scheduled anything with me yet. Two of them do not have English speaking parents though so the hubs is supposed to call for me to schedule when we are going to visit.
Okay, back to work (and back to watching Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel).

3 comments:

  1. I think the home visits are nice. We have never had them here. At least my boys' schools didn't do them. We did get a phone call from the teachers in the early grades which was nice.
    The visit is a little window into what the child's life is like out side of school...must be very helpful to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of parents doing home visits. Is this usual? Or only for this school?

    That's so cute about the cool mom & the kid who didn't want you to leave! Too funny!

    Wow, that's a lot of students to visit. You make your apts after school hours, right? What hours are you actually teaching from?

    Is it like Parent/Teacher interviews? I'm trying to understand.

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!