Friday, October 1, 2010

bullying

You know, I thought bullying only existed amongst children. These days I haven't really noticed much of it (amongst my students) but that's because many of my children are shiesty. I literally can't trust anyone in my class. I think they're all lying to me when I ask them if whatever they did was on accident or on purpose.
Being back in my hometown teaching children who are growing up here in the now is a strange thing. These kids are nothing like the ones I had down in SoCal. Some parents are on top of things, they read everything that gets sent home but others don't respond to emails, or even try to make contact with you. How's a child supposed to want to succeed if the parents aren't even making an effort?
Anyway, I digress. The bullying that I have witnessed has actually been amongst the staff. Can you believe it? I'm not going to go into any details but just know that Teacher A was getting into Teacher B's face about something. This something wasn't even important-at least it didn't seem like it was a big deal but I guess that's because we're not Teacher A. I'm not sure if the situation got resolved but I was literally dumbfounded by it. I still can't believe it happened. We're supposed to be this staff that supports one another yet we are not a cohesive group. We are supposed to be role models to children and Teacher A is a bully! I've always wanted to work with a staff where we hung out once in a while outside of work. That sort of happened at my old school but not really. There's always been the desire to do it but no one has made the effort. Every staff I work with wants to hang out more outside of work but we're all too tired from spending entire days with 24+ children and the weekends? Forget about it.
We are only starting October and in the first month and a half, I have witnessed bullying and there are definitely cliques amongst the staff which is sort of new for me because at my old school, people were just partnered off. To me, a clique consists of more than 2 people and there's a definite clique amongst the staff and it's lame. Again, we're supposed to be role models.

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, bullying amongst the staff? That is crazy. I really don't understand what is wrong with people these days. Really... society is really messed up. But we've already discussed that in emails..!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That must make for an uncomfortable working atmosphere. Sorry about that. I hope you aren't teacher B. :(
    I never thought about it but your post has opened my eyes to the fact that I have great coworkers. Each grade level kind of hangs out together (For obvious reasons) but everyone is so nice but maybe I'm just overwhelmed over here in the 2nd grade twilight zone and don't notice.
    I am positive you are making a difference in the lives of those little Kindergartener's you teach. I do feel sorry for those that have parents that don't care. Life is hard enough without parental support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh... I am sorry to hear this, I know how you were looking forward to really getting into things and settling in, making friends, etc. It really annoys me when people are like this as well...it is like we never leave high school. :( Big hugs hun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear that's happening! It has happened before at my school, before we got a new principal who really runs a tight ship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was really surprised last year at our school that the teachers all got together quite a bit - it's mostly an Asian school so I thought the Caucasian teacher would be left out. They seemed to have a great time - I'm so sorry you don't have that at your work too!

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time out to leave me a comment. Happy reading!